Registration Information

On this Page, You Will Find…

Age Requirements / School Locator

Kindergarten Children who have turned 5 years old on or before September 1, 2020
Transitional KindergartenChildren who have turned 5 years of age between September 2 – December 2, 2020  
First GradeChildren who have turned 6 years of age on or before 
September 1, 2020

New Kindergarten and New Student Registration

To be eligible for kindergarten, students must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 or five (5) years old between September 2 and December 2 for transitional kindergarten and must currently reside within the boundaries of the Chula Vista Elementary School District. For Preschool students, please visit the Early Childhood Education web page.

You must register at your neighborhood school to begin the process. If you do not know your neighborhood school, click here » CVESD Schools

There are two ways you can enroll your child in school: 

1. Online Enrollment

     a. Please read through all of the instructions before you begin.

     b. You will need to create a new account – see the link “Register a New Account” under the login box.

2. Call your neighborhood school to obtain a paper registration packet. The list of schools and phone numbers is here » CVESD Schools

Required Documentation

Birth VerificationOne of the following:
Birth certificatePassportHospital certificate – must include parents namesBaptismal certificate – must include parents names
Immunization RecordPlease read Immunization Information (menu on left side of page)
Verification of Residency*One of the following: Mortgage booklet or statementHomeowner’s Association billing statementRental property contract, lease, or current payment receipt with landlord’s name, address and phone numberLetter on apartment complex or mobile home park letterhead, signed by the landlord, stating that parent/guardian/caregiver lives thereUtility bills: gas and electric, sewer, trash, water, cable billTelephone bill (land line)Pay stubCorrespondence from a government agencyResidency Verification must be provided by parents/guardians upon initial enrollment and renewed every year thereafter on an annual basis. If the residence changes, parents/guardians must present updated residency verification to the school within two weeks of the change.*In order to verify residency within the Chula Vista Elementary School District, one current document dated within 60 days of your child’s first day of school must be provided, showing parent/caregiver/guardian name and address.

The following forms are available at the bottom of this page in the ‘Document Container.’
They are also available for download within the Online Enrollment program. CAIR Parent Information FormEmergency and Health InformationHome Language SurveyImportant Health IssuesOral Health Assessment (read more about this required assessment in Immunization Information)Record of Prior School Programs and Special ServicesSchool Entry Health Exam – required by 1st grade entry (read more about this required assessment in Immunization Information):
CAIR Parent Information Formapril.bowman1.43 MB11 January, 2019

Emergency and Health Information – English and Spanishapril.bowman183 KB11 January, 2019•••

Home Language Survey – English and Spanishapril.bowman159 KB11 January, 2019•••

Important Health Issues – English and Spanishapril.bowman264 KB11 January, 2019•••

Oral Health Assessment – English and Spanishapril.bowman1.78 MB18 November, 2019•••

Record of Prior School Programs and Special Services – English and Spanishapril.bowman268 KB11 January, 2019•••

School Entry Health Exam – English and Spanishapril.bowman248 KB11 January, 2019•••

Immunization Information

Alerts3The California school immunization law requires that all children entering school receive proper immunizations to protect them from serious illness and to prevent the spread of communicable diseases: polio, measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis B, varicella (chickenpox), diphtheria, tetanus, haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib meningitis), and whooping cough.

A child shall not be enrolled until documentation showing current immunizations is presented to the school, unless there is certification of homelessness. If there is a documented medical reason for exemption, please consult with your CA-licensed physician for the proper paperwork prior to enrollment.

Immunization Requirements

California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Parents must show their child’s immunization record as proof of immunization.

Starting July 1, 2019, admitted students need these immunizations:
Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) – 5 doses 
(4 doses okay if one was given on or after 4th birthday.  3 doses okay if one was given on or after 7th birthday.)

Polio  (OPV or IPV) – 4 doses 
(3 doses okay if one was given on or after 4th birthday)

Hepatitis B – 3 doses
(not required for 7th grade entry)

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) – 2 doses
(Both given on or after 1st birthday)

Varicella (Chicken Pox) – 2 doses
Starting July 1, 2019, admitted students starting 7th grade need these immunizations:
Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (TdaP) – 1 dose
(Whooping cough booster usually given at 11 years and up)

Varicella (Chicken Pox) – 2 doses
(Usually given at ages 12 months and 4-6 years)

In addition, the TK / K-12 immunization requirements apply to 7th graders who:previously had a valid personal beliefs exemption filed before 2016 upon entry between TK/Kindergarten and 6th grade
are new admissions

A complete list of required immunizations can be found at these websites: 
California Department of Health Services website:

Additional Required Health Assessments

Kinder/First Dental Exam (OHA)
Effective January 1, 2007, an Oral Health Assessment (OHA) by a licensed California dental health professional is required for children entering public school for the first time (at kindergarten or first grade). The OHA must be completed and returned to the school by May 31 of the year of entry. Assessments done 12 months prior to school entry also meet this requirement. Obtain the form from the school or your dental health provider. Transitional kindergarten students who submit an oral health assessment will complete this requirement. Parents or guardians may sign a waiver of this requirement, which is found on the OHA form. There is no penalty or exclusion if this requirement is not met. The parent or guardian can call 1-800-675-2229 for assistance in finding a provider for the OHA.

Physical Exam
California’s Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) Program.  This requires all school aged children to have a physical exam on record with the school. Please submit a copy of your child’s medical checkup to the school when you register for kindergarten or as soon as it is completed during the kindergarten year. The health exam meets the requirement if completed within 18 months of starting 1st grade. You are required to obtain this exam by 1st grade entry to make sure that your child is healthy and ready to learn. Parents or guardians needing assistance in meeting this requirement may call 1-800-675-2229. If a physical exam is against your personal beliefs, you must sign a CHDP waiver. Students who have not met this requirement by the appropriate date may be excluded from school attendance for up to five days.

All forms are linked here.

%d bloggers like this: